Weekend travels are an important ally of mere mortals (read working class) and their mental health, but before packing up we must take into consideration some advices that may turn out useful:
- Don’t go far away from home. You are on a 2 days and a half or 3 days trip, so in order to keep a fair ration between traveling hours and on-site time your flight trip shouldn’t last more than 2.5 / 3 hours (each way).
- Bring some easy-to-carry distraction for the idle time such as flying hours and the time spent on public transportation from/to the airport if you travel by plane. You should bring few things so if you like listening to music just use your smartphone, whereas if you are more into reading, a small tablet will do.
- If you are going to some expensive countries you may want to consider booking in advance some attractions, restaurants or hotels through a deal site: in this case, planning means cheaper.
- If you are going on your own and on a low budget you may want to stay at a hostel, in order to meet people. Try http://www.theposhpacker.com/ , these people made a really cool selection of a few cool and (of course) cheap hostels.
- Don’t forget to bring a credit or debit card but also cash money, because you never know when an ATM is going to leave you high and dry.